samedi 26 juin 2010


Salut tout le monde!

Welcome to my blog. I have had many of these before and abandoned them a week later out of pure apathy - but this time I am under different circumstances! I am in Paris! For seven whole months! I will try - through this blog - t0 relay my adventures (or misadventures in some cases) in the City of Light. But, try to recall my readers, that (like beauty) excitement is in the eye of the beholder.

So, it is Saturday afternoon right now here in Paris and my little room is full of the smell of fresh bread. Voilà a picture of my little fragrant treasure below:


This morning started off by being woken at 9h00 by the cleaning ladies here in the foyer. That is one thing that I continually getting used to - the lack of privacy here. I was sound asleep when the ladies unlocked my door and emptied my poubelle. But I can't complain. They are so sweet to do these menial tasks for me and I should have been up anyway. After taking a shower, changing, and putting on makeup (which takes an unaccountably long time) - I was out of the room by 10h30. And, as tends to be my routine now, I found my feet walking me to the Rue Mouffetard! But, before I explain my particular love for this street, I suppose I should explain more about my residence.

I live in a foyer (which is a type of residence hall for students) called Le Foyer International des Etudiantes. For 25.5€ a day I get a room (avec une camarade de chambre) in the 5ème arrondissement, which is prime location for any student. For those who don't know I am studying at the Sorbonne and the school is about a 10 minute walk away. Quite convenient. And, as I am on the Boulevard Saint-Michel, everything I could possibly need is within walking distance. The Luxembourg Gardens (which I will take pictures of this afternoon) are right across the street and a perfect place to people watch and read. Not to mention that it it stunningly beautiful! Anyway, my room (which you won't get to see quite yet as it is a bit messy) looks like a typical dorm room - spartan but it doesn't matter. The real beauty of this foyer is on the 7ème étage, which is the terrace. Here are some pictures of my residence:

The entrance to the Foyer

View #1 from the terrace: Le Tour Eiffel and Les Invalides

View #2: Saint-Sulpice

View #3: Sacré Coeur (waaaay in the distance)

My room is on the 2ème étage and right next to les toilettes et les douches, but the good thing about this room, which I know other residents don't have is a HUGE window that opens up onto the inner courtyard.
The window allows much light and fresh air into the room and it also allows me to hear the church bells that mark every quarter hour. So, that is my residence. Every day since I have arrived I have gotten my café au lait in a little shop along the Rue Mouffetard. I absolutely adore this street!! It is about a 20 minute walk from the Foyer and a perfect morning walk. How do I get there - do you ask? Well, I walk down blvd. Saint-Michel and take a right onto rue Soufflot. And what sight greets me every morning like an old friend? Oh, not much, only this! ...

Yes folks, I walk right by the Panthéon every single morning! I pass by that and then onto rue Cujas where another sight greets me. Again, it's nothing too special. Only...

This is La Église Saint-Étienne-du-Mont. The facade of this church cannot be truly appreciated through a picture. I think it is a rival of the great Notre Dame for sheer beauty. The inside, however, is quite humble. I don't dare take a picture indoors because I don't want to show any disrespect. Another couple of streets after this and I am on the Rue Mouffetard. During the day it is a pretty busy street and very non-touristy. The locals shop there for their baguettes, meat, fish, wine, coffee, and fresh fruits and vegetables. No supermarchés here, thank God! Traditional boucheries, boulangeries, et patissièries. The smell of fresh meat and fish and bread fill the air. Not to mention the coffee!!! God, the coffee is beyond belief. That's one of the things I really missed while in the States. Real coffee. For 2€ I get a delicious café au lait and a table to people watch. Excellent. Usually I walk about for a little after the coffee and then go back to clean my room and study. Today I walked into a boulangerie - it pulled me in with the beautiful little pastries in the window. But, my taste for sweet things have diminished dramatically, and I purchased un tradition, which was the cheapest baguette to be had. 1€15 and I thought it quite delicious. God knows I will only have a few bites and then throw the rest away as it doesn't keep for long (no preservatives) - but it was good to have some of it and the smell of it in my chambre is comforting.

I don't know what I shall do for the rest of the day. I must clean the room and then I may book it over to Shakespeare and Co. to browse through the cheap books. And next week is bound to be absolutely insane. Why do you ask? Because the sales are on throughout Paris. Couture items can be found for 80% off! I smell Christian Louboutin boots! I will post another update tonight with more details regarding Parisian life. I end this post with a picture of my outfit for the day. And I know what some of you are saying: Oh là là - she's wearing flats! I need comfy shoes for walking and the French populace tends to be shorter in height. And most of the chic Parisiennes wear flats anyway. So, here is the picture, and for those who have World Cup Fever: here is the new Shakira music video, which is apparently the FIFA World Cup Song! Quite catchy! Enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpeEdMmmQ0

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire