samedi 26 juin 2010


Oddly enough, I find this blog very therapeutic and relaxing - and it gives me a chance to unload the camera - so here goes. When last I left you in my scintillating tale I first went to Le Jardin du Luxembourg. For the readers who don't know what this is: a giant public parc filled with statues, fountains, flowers, and a giant palace which now houses the French Senate. Despite it being almost ungodly outside because of the heat it was as popular as ever. Parisiennes reading on benches or cuddling with loved ones, the single ones reading or drinking beer, les petits enfants mangent des glaces. It is so cute to see their little faces covered in chocolate ice cream!

The entrance to the Gardens!

A young Parisienne enjoying the shade with a book


Picturesque statue of George Sand


A lovely statue framed by trees...

View #1 of Le Palais

View #2 (and my personal favorite)

View #3

Handsome Parisien sunning while enjoying a book

My favorite statue of une reine

But my favorite part while I visited the gardens was seeing the young children playing with/racing their boats in the fountain! The parents were there to assist and the joy that lit up their little faces was palpable. I haven't seen this any other day, so I assume that this only occurs on a Saturday.





After watching the children play their games I was almost overcome with the heat and decided to continue walking and find Shakespeare and Co. You know how the best things are never planned? Well, I never made it to the store. To be honest, I couldn't quite find it. But then again, my sense of direction was never the best. I ended up at Notre Dame and found that the entrance was blocked. After asking the police what happened, they informed me that a number of priests were ordained and that a celebration was occurring in the back of the cathedral. Curious to see the event, I wandered over. And I was so glad that I did!!! The new priests were clothed in red and white and surrounded by loving and pious Parisians:

This particular older gentleman seemed exceptionally pious and once he received his blessing from the new priest and was raised to his feet he pressed his lips against the man of God's hands quite fervently. The young priest face seemed to literally glow. I wish that I captured the beauty of that moment on camera. It was enough to make me want to drop to my knees.


This exceptionally handsome priest had quite a crowd around him. It made quite the picturesque scene. Many kneeled to receive his blessing (myself included). I wonder why there were so many people around this particular cleric - perhaps his popularity could be attributed to his looks? Most of the congregation was female! :)

The next place that I visited was the Conciergerie - an ancient fortress which played a major part in La Révolution Française. Over 2700 people (whom the Republic considered unwanted) were imprisoned here and many were executed à la Place de la Révolution (now called La Place de la Concorde). I was able to get in free, which made me very happy!!! I thonk that it was a combination of age and my student status. The place itself has a very bad aura and is quite gloomy but that is to be expected. I took some pictures, but I admit that they aren't very good. If anyone wishes to see them, just let me know, but I won't post them here. Poor Marie Antoinette.


After walking about so much and seeing something that wasn't quite so pleasant, I was ready to return to the room and have a sit down. Mais, Paris had other plans for me. The entire blvd Saint-Michel was taken over by an LGBT parade! Hundreds and hundreds of Parisians danced in the streets. Many wearing next to nothing. Oddly enough Lady Gaga and Britney Spears (Womanizer & Alejandro in particular) seemed to be the patron saints of the Parade. Their music was blared at decibels loud enough to pierce the eardrum. But who am I to complain? I danced with everyone else, was doused in something wet and warm which I only pray was water, and condoms were thrown from floats. A young Parisian tried to offer me the ones he caught, but I laughed him off and told him Non merci! Maybe I should have taken them - it would have made an amusing souvenir. I am including pictures that I took but younger readers should proceed with caution. Many of the photos include risqué costumes and there is even some frontal/partial nudity.



Young men dancing on top of a bus stop!!! :)
A bold young Lesbian couple dancing - one without a top!!! I was astonished at how free and comfortable they were!



Paris is so full of surprises, a harmonious marriage of old and new, modern and historic. There is always something to do or to see or to eat or to drink as long as one keeps one's mind open! And the most felicitous things happen when least expected. So, tonight I plan on going to a café during Happy Hour, grab a beer, watch La Coupe du Monde with other fanatics, and try to get into bed before 1 am. And my bread has gone stale. Merde!!!! Oh well. Tomorrow is another day and with it, perhaps, more pictures!!

À Bientôt my dear readers!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire